What we do
Set up in January 2002, originally by the then Electronic Business Unit of HMRC, IReeN is an independent group of industry volunteers incorporating private and public sector, pension providers, agents and software developers, all of whom engage with HMRC electronically.
Many of the early committee members and IReeN members had been early adopters of what we now call online filing with HMRC, initially we were all using EDI but this changed as others started to adopt online filing i.e. via the Internet.
We have played a very critical role in the development of both End of Year/In-Year electronic filing and Real Time Information (RTI) through working closely with HMRC to minimise the impact of change for employers, pension providers and organisations, which is at the heart of everything we do.
Representation with other bodies
As an organisation and individual committee members, there is active involvement in many
areas of consultation and future development including:
- • HMRC Employment and Payroll Group (EPG)
- • HMRC Collaborative Assembly of Software Developers and HMRC (CASH)
- • HMRC/BIS/DWP Statutory Payments Consultation Group
- • HMRC BIB group (BCS / IReeN / BASDA)
- • British Computer Society Payroll sub-group
- • HMRC Taxpayer Data Standards Forum (TDSF)
- • DWP/TPR Pensions Sub Group
We also work closely with many of the payroll organisations including the CIPP, Payroll Alliance, and Learn and a summary of our bulletins is published each month in thte Purely Payroll magazine.